Tuesday, October 9, 2007

janet devaty

CHARLOTTE -- A 28-year-old woman was killed Monday night while running along Providence Road.



Police say Janet Devaty was hit by a Chevy pickup truck just before 7 p.m. near the intersection of Providence and Cherokee roads.



Police had a hard time identifying the woman because she was not carrying any identification with her. She only had her iPod.

Devaty's boyfriend showed up at the scene. The two had dinner plans but she never showed.

Providence Road was closed in both directions while crews worked at the scene. Spring might be just around the corner according to Punxsutawney Phil, but it�� hard to find anyone who believes a groundhog can predict the weather.
Punxsutawney Phil, the famous groundhog from Punxsutawney, Pa., predicts if spring is coming or winter will stay by looking at his shadow on Feb. 2, every year. According to reports, Phil did not see his shadow this year, so spring is supposedly on its way.
Janet Devaty, a sophomore majoring in marketing, is one person who believes the tale might be just a myth.
�� don�� really believe in the whole groundhog idea, but I�� be happy if spring came early,�?she said.
Sheila Judge, a graduate student in educational policy and leadership, agrees with Devaty.
��t�� a funny tradition, but I don�� think it has any impact on what the weather will be,�?she said.
According to the official Website of Punxsutawney Phil, the Groundhog Day tradition began with the Romans, who believed if an animal came out of hibernation on Feb. 2 while the sun was shining, winter would last for six more weeks. The day is also based on a Scottish couplet celebrating the Feb. 2 celebration of Candlemas Day:
��f Candlemas Day is bright and clear/ There��l be two winters in the year.�?br>In 1886, a group of people from Punxsutawney carried on the tradition by going into the woods in search of a groundhog to predict the weather. Now, Phil lives in an electrically heated burrow and many people gather to see whether he will see his shadow when he comes out on Groundhog Day.
Jeff Rogers, a professor who teaches climate and weather forecasting classes in the Department of Geography, said there is some truth to Phil�� forecast.
�� think Groundhog Day is based a little on physics of climate,�?he said.
If the groundhog doesn�� see his shadow, it�� cloudy. The clouds will trap heat near the surface of the ground. This signals the approaching end to winter, Rogers said.
Even though Rogers believes there is some logic in the legend, he wouldn�� vouch for its accuracy.
��t is certainly not something you can rely on in your daily life,�?he said.
Jay Hobgood, an associate professor in the Department of Geography, also questions the accuracy of the tale.
��t�� a fun activity, but I�� not sure it has anything to do with the weather,�?he said.
You're in a better place, I've heard a thousand times
And at least a thousand times I've rejoiced for you
But the reason why I'm broken, the reason why I cry
Is how long must I wait to be with you

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

Help me Lord cause I don't understand your ways
The reason why I wonder if I'll ever know
But, even if you showed me, the hurt would be the same
Cause I'm still here so far away from home

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

In Christ, there are no goodbyes
And in Christ, there is no end
So I'll hold onto Jesus with all that I have
To see you again
To see you again

And I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
Won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
Won't you give me strength to make it through somehow

I've never been

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home